Washington Campgrounds
Oregon Campgrounds
Idaho Campgrounds
Featured Campgrounds
Equestrian Camps
Washington Cabin Rentals
My Experiences
Why I Wrote These Books
Passes & Permits
Washington Photo Gallery
Oregon Photo Gallery
Idaho Photo Gallery
Contact Ray

Passes & Permits

Although all the campgrounds listed are free of charge for camping, some are located at or near trailheads. There is no fee to camp in the campground; however, a Northwest Forest Pass is required for you to park your car within 1/4 mile of the trailhead.

It’s a good idea to pick up a pass before heading off in search of the perfect campsite. You can purchase a pass at any Forest Service Office. Prices are $5.00 for a one day pass or $30.00 for the whole year.

For a list of businesses that sell the pass, call 1-800-270-7504 or look on the internet for www.naturenw.org. This pass covers all of Washington and Oregon states.
If you’re over 62 or disabled, you may want to check out the Golden Age Passport or the Golden Access Passport. These are lifetime entrance passes to ALL national parks, monuments, historic sites, recreation areas and national wildlife refuges administered by the federal government which charge entrance fees. Golden Age Passports are issued to citizens or permanent residents of the United States who are 62 or older, and Golden Access Passports to the disabled. They also give you a 50 percent discount on most federal use fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, boat launching, parking, swimming sites and so on. There is a $10 one time charge for the Golden Age Passport.

If you are young and able-bodied but you use the outdoors a lot, or are planning a vacation, check out the Golden Eagle Passport which is a similar pass allowing use of ALL federal recreation areas for a $65 annual fee.These special “Passports” are available at any Forest Service or National Park office.

Boaters who use federal docks on Lake Chelan will be required to display a "Lake Chelan Federal Dock Site Permit." A daily permit costs $5.00 while a season pass costs $40.00. Ten docks managed by the U.S. Forest Service and five by the National Park Service will require dock site permits.
Funds collected by the sale of dock site permits have been used to repair the docks at Moore Point Campground, Prince Creek Campground, Flick Creek Campground, and the Stehekin Marina docks. Future repairs are planned for docks at Corral Creek and Domke Falls Campgrounds.
Dock Site Passes may be purchased at the Chelan Ranger District Office, Forest Headquarters in Wenatchee, McGregor Outdoor Supply in Stehekin, Stehekin Lodge Store, and the following locations around Chelan: Lake Chelan Chamber of Commerce, Kelly's Hardware, Mackey's True Value Hardware, Lake Chelan State Park, 25 Mile Creek State Park. In Manson, passes are available at Wapato Point Resort, Manson Village Market, 76 Station in Manson, and Old Mill Park.

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) requires a vehicle use permit to use their campgrounds and some of their other facilities. Hunters and fishers get a Vehicle Use Permit without additional cost, as part of their annual license purchase. Vehicle Use Permits purchased separately cost $12.00.

Discover Pass:

Annual pass: $30
Daily pass: $10

(Transaction and dealer fees may apply)

Washington state parks
WDFW wildlife areas
WDFW water access points
DNR recreation sites
For information, e-mail
or call toll-free (866) 320-9933

The Discover Pass allows you to enjoy nearly 7 million acres of Washington state-managed recreation lands – including campgrounds, parks, wildlife areas, trails, natural areas, wilderness areas and water access points.

Beginning July 1, 2011, you will need to display the Discover Pass on your vehicle when visiting state recreation lands managed by the Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission, the Washington State Department of Natural Resources and the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife. The fine for not displaying the pass is $99.

The Discover Pass may be purchased (will be available for purchase prior to July 1):

•In person from any of nearly 600 recreational license vendors where state fishing and hunting licenses are sold.
•By phone. Call toll-free (866) 320-9933.
•When you renew your vehicle license. Beginning in the fall of 2011, you will be able to purchase the Discover Pass through the state Department of Licensing vehicle registration and tab renewal process.

And now, you are allowed to use the pass for two different vehicles instead of one as was the original pass.





Ray's Guides - All Rights Reserved